Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 15:25:57 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, eivind@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Updated dialog-based config patches

On Sun 2002-10-06 (13:21), Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 29, 2002 at 11:28:04PM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>
> > There's only one bug I'm aware of, involving reconstructing the list
> > of options with saved default values, and passing the reconstructed
> > list to dialog (this is the 'sed s, ,_,g' thing that shows up in the
> > option descriptions).  Probably there's a way to fix this, but I
> > couldn't see it today.
>
> I fixed this just now: the updated version has no further problems I
> am aware of.  I'm intending to commit this in the next week or two;
> speak up now if you have any comments.
>
>   http://people.freebsd.org/~kris/bsd.port.mk-config.patch

I'd like to see the saved options be written either at install, or at a
specific "make saveoptions".  This also means that people can do port
builds as user much easier.

I'll follow up with code shortly.

I also tend to agree with the idea that the "work" involved in getting
the options should be done outside bsd.port.mk.  It doesn't apply
anymore, obviously, but my patch dating back to June 1999 at
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~nbm/portconf/pdlg-bsd.port.mk-patch has an
idea of how clean it could be.  It also made putting graphical
front-ends in front much easier, ala
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~nbm/portconf/gportconf.jpg.  That, obviously,
used an external file, so no make(1) variable searching overhead for the
descriptions, and it even did dependencies and had pre-defined classes
of configurations.  If we want to work in that direction, we should keep
the work out of bsd.port.mk.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner