Date:      Thu, 07 Oct 1999 19:55:56 -0700
From:      whitehat@home.com
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   success...and failure

At last...with you guy's helping emails I was able to successfully
install FreeBSD 3.2, and with some kernel hacking, and I/O altering, I
got my ethernet card working.  One problem though...after I boot up and
log in as root, I type startx and this nasty error comes up:

" execve failed for /usr/X11R6/bin/x(errno2)"

its a little weird...my mouse shows up on the screen, I can move it
around and all that, however I'm still in console and I can execute
commands.  Its as if I'm halfway in X and halfway in console.  Whats
going on? I ran the non-graphical Xfree86 config...everything seemed to
go ok execept for my video card selection.  I have no idea what my video
card is and what memory it has! So I just guessed.  Is there any way to
re-configure it without re-installing FreeBSD? I need help.  One final
thing...During installation, I chose to install KDE 1.1.1, but it
couldnt find "Mesa".  I have the 4 CD set, so mabye KDE is on one of the
other CD's? How would I install/view the software while logged in
FreeBSD? I would appreciate any response/flames/confusion you can offer
me...thanks