Date:      Sun, 18 Jul 1999 17:33:01 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Splash Screens (was Re: 3.2-RELEASE Feedback)

> Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> >
> > The VESA module doesn't switch to anything or make any decisions. The
> > splash decoders behave slightly differently: the BMP decoder picks the
> > largest available mode (1024x768, 800x600, 640x480, 320x200) while the
> > PCX decoder picks the smallest available mode which is large enough to
> > accomodate the picture. (I want the BMP decoder to go away, but it
> > seems to be too well-anchored for that right now, though it suffers
> > from slight bitrot because I don't maintain it actively)
>
> What??? Don't! I have much more trouble with PCX than BMP...

It's not going anywhere, and DES is quite wrong about it's behaviour.
The BMP module also picks the smallest mode capable of displaying the
image.  (If it didn't, my 640x480 splash would look pretty pathetic
given that the Voodoo 3 BIOS offers at least 1280x1024.)

--
\\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
\\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org