Date:      Fri, 16 Jan 2009 22:05:52 -0700
From:      Tim Judd <tajudd@gmail.com>
To:        Ewald Jenisch <a@jenisch.at>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portupgrade <-> portmaster?

Ewald Jenisch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Having used portupgrade for several years I'm thinking to make the
> switch to portmaster since both of them seem to be fully supported as
> far as upgrading ports is concerned.
>
> Anything to consider when going from portupgrade to portmaster?
>
> Caveats/pitfalls?
>
> Is there also a way back, i.e. from portmaster to portupgrade?
>
> What are your experiences with portmaster, esp. in terms of stability,
> handling, features?
>
> Thanks much in advance,
> -ewald

I'll be honest -- I've tried portupgrade, then portmaster, then dabbled
with porteasy.  Then a buddy mentioned pkg_replace.  I never tried
pkg_replace but the documented and recommended way to upgrade ports were
not followed (in my eyes) by any of those... so I made my own based from
the borne shell only.  It relies 100% on the ports subsystem to do it's
work and it doesn't try to shortcut the process.

So what my system does (which isn't released, won't be released in the
forseeable future)...
	Forces a warning of the upgrading process may "loose" some package if
you cancel out of it
	Forces a display of the UPGRADING file... then the MOVED file.
	Asks the user if it's OK to proceed, given the UPDATING and MOVED files
may have given special instructions for something.
	Scans for the outdated ports, optionally using the INDEX file
	Re-calls itself to upgrade each port in turn found above
	Gives options to do stages, such as building without installing
	Logs the process in memory, and logs the final result in a logfile and
prints it to the screen

Most importantly, I love the concept that it has no external prerequisites.

In the end, I think it works really well but since I don't feel
confident that it's bugfree and ready for dedicated and production
servers -- I am not releasing it to the public (yet?).

</soapbox>

But if I were to recommend anything, go through the ports-mgmt category
and find something that works for you, or roll your own.

--Tim