Date:      Fri, 06 Apr 2007 09:51:59 -0500
From:      Derek Ragona <derek@computinginnovations.com>
To:        "Amarendra Godbole" <amarendra.godbole@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lpd refuses to print from a machine with a DHCP assigned IP address...

At 01:16 AM 4/6/2007, Amarendra Godbole wrote:
>Hi,
>
>My FreeBSD box picks up its IP through DHCP. Now I configured a
>printer on this machine, using apsfilter. So far so good. Now when I
>try to print anything, I see the following error in the lpd-errs file:
>------------
>Apr  6 11:00:03 zimbu lpd[1501]: unable to get official name for local
>machine zimbu.vxindia.veritas.com: hostname nor servname provided, or
>not known
>Apr  6 11:00:03 zimbu lpd[1501]: lp: no line printer device or host name
>------------
>
>Now, if I add an entry for zimbu in /etc/hosts (with the currently
>assigned IP address), printing works fine. My printcap is:
>
>------------
># APS1_BEGIN:printer1
># - don't delete start label for apsfilter printer1
># - no other printer defines between BEGIN and END LABEL
>lp|sym6fp1|PSgs;r=300x300;q=medium;c=full;p=a4;m=raw:\
>    :lp=:\
>    :rm=sym6fp1.vxindia.veritas.com:\
>    :rp=sym6fp1:\
>    :if=/usr/local/etc/apsfilter/basedir/bin/apsfilter:\
>    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/sym6fp1:\
>    :lf=/var/spool/lpd/sym6fp1/log:\
>    :af=/var/spool/lpd/sym6fp1/acct:\
>    :mx#0:\
>    :sh:
># APS1_END - don't delete this
>------------
>
>sym6fp1.vxindia.veritas.com is the printer host (actually the printer
>itself, not an host really).
>
>Hence, my question is: Is there some tweak either in printcap, or
>somewhere else that will tell lpd that my IP address is DHCP assigned?
>Or how do I get printing enabled, without adding such an entry in
>/etc/hosts.conf? Any help to fix this issue will be appreciated.
>Thanks in advance!
>
>Best,
>Amarendra

You don't say if your DHCP IP is a private LAN IP or a public IP.

If the IP is public and you don't require direct access to this IP from the
internet, put a router in place between your modem and the server and give
your server a static private IP.

If you do need a public IP on your server, ask your provider for a static
IP instead of a DHCP one.

         -Derek

believed to be clean.