Date:      Wed, 17 Apr 2002 15:00:27 -0700
From:      Marc Hunter <hunter@hunter.net>
To:        Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Killing a FIN_WAIT_2

At 07:36 AM 04/18/02 +1000, Edwin Groothuis wrote:
>On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 12:18:35PM -0700, Marc Hunter wrote:
> > I have a tcp connection that's sitting in FIN_WAIT_2 according to netstat
> > -a, and it's locking up the port, preventing me from restarting my server
> > app...  I know those connections time out after some time, but is there
> any
> > way of explicitly killing it?  (other than rebooting)
>
>There is no such thing. You should be able to restart the server
>anyway if you set the SO_REUSEADDR on the socket:
>
>     setsockopt(fd4,SOL_SOCKET,SO_REUSEADDR,(char *)&x,sizeof(x))

Thanks for the info, although it does not seem to to the trick... Perhaps
you meant SO_REUSEPORT?  If so, I'm not sure that will work for me in this
case, as I do actually want it to fail if another instance of the server is
running.

I'm making the assumption that the sockets returned from accept inherit the
options specified on the accepting socket...? (I ran setsockopt on the
accepted socket as well, just to be sure...)

Rgds,

Marc