Date:      Fri, 1 Oct 2004 21:19:03 +0930
From:      Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay@internode.on.net>
To:        ict technician <ict@cardinalnewman.coventry.sch.uk>
Cc:        ian j hart <ianjhart@ntlworld.com>
Subject:   Re: broken fs dump file

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 07:08 pm, ict technician wrote:
> On Thursday 30 September 2004 17:19, Malcolm Kay wrote:
> > On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 06:15 pm, ict technician wrote:
> > > I have a broken fs dump I need to fix. Is there a diagnostic/repair
> > > tool I can use? I know about restore -N.
> > >
> > > <No I didn't verify, and yes that was a mistake>
> > >
> > > Dump was taken on 4.10. Restoring on 5.3BETA, although I can change
> > > that.
> >
> > A question rather than an answer:----
> >   Is it valid to dump a ufs file system and try to restore it to a ufs2
> >   system?
> >
> > Malcolm
>
> wrt dump:
> 	on 5.x dump has to understand ufs2. However, you might choose to use ufs;
> so it has to deal with that. Since dump does both, restore must do both.
> QED :)

I agree with the argument that dump must be able to dump a ufs fs
that restore can restore to a ufs fs, and that dump must be able to dump a ufs2
fs that restore can restore to a ufs2 fs.

But to dump a ufs fs and restore it to a ufs2 fs is not the same thing,
nor is it the 'normal' application for dump/restore.
Maybe this is quite a valid thing to do; I'd like to see an 'official'
statement to that effect -- I find your argument in relation to this situation
unconvincing. Sorry about that.

But you seem to be convinced by your investigation that the problem is elsewhere
so at least tentitively I will accept that it is valid thing to do even though
I dismiss your argument.

Malcolm