Date:      Sun, 02 Mar 1997 02:55:11 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2, 3.0 pkg_manage - where are you :-(

> i've seen the above one time as well, due to there being many zombies
> around.  Apparently, sysinstall isn't very interested in the death of
> its children.  OTOH, it _sometimes_ is interested, and that was enough

Erm, actually, if you check sysinstall's process spawning *very
carefully* you will see that every child launched is waited for, and
when running multi-user it's quite easy to watch the process table and
see that the zombie count is not increasing.  When sysinstall is
running as init, it also suddenly inheirits a lot of *other* processes
which it did not directly fork, and that caused us a problem until I
changed the process waits to wait for anything and everything, looping
until there are no more children to wait for.  I'd really be surprised
to see this happening again in any current version of sysinstall.

					Jordan