Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2000 22:05:40 +0200
From:      Marc Fonvieille <fonvi@easynet.fr>
To:        Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCMCIA PAO/ network install

On Thu, Jun 22, 2000 at 11:51:49AM -0700, Harry Putnam wrote:
> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/ed/if_ed.c
>
> I see no mention of Netgear here.  What to look for to see the `fix'.
>
> I tried:
> lynx http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/ed/if_ed.c-dump \
>  |grep '\(N\|n\)etgear' ... nothing

The fix was merged the 2000/06/18 and it's about correct card type
detection (this Netgear is a Lynksys type)

> > Don't forget about Mark Fonvieille's fa_select port from linux.
> >
> > http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=70081+0+current/freebsd-mobile
> >
> > to set the proper speed and duplex.

> Can any of this be used in a kern.flp and mfsroot.flp?

You can create a new kern.flp with good detection but you can't have
speed negociation which is done with fa_select

> Which cards are known to be the least trouble prone?
>
> Apparently it does no good to look up which cards are supported,
> since the Netgear 410 is listed in 4.0 release notes and the PAO
> homepage as supported.
>
> Sounds like it might be easier to get a known trouble free card right
> off, but how can one find which fit that category if the `supported'
> lists are not accurate?
>
> I need a card that needs no special care since I want to install with it.
>
> > http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=70081+0+current/freebsd-mobile
>
> The netgear 410 discussion looks to be about finding MAC addressing,
> not clear if this would also apply to pcs.

Read carefully, there's 2 pbs: wrong detection and speed negociation.

Have a look to my last message to this list.

A cdrom installation should be the best solution for you.

Marc