Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 10:19:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jon Noack" <noackjr@compgeek.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portversion weirdness

> When I run portversion, I see that well over half of my installed ports
> are listed with ">" (ie. installed version is more recent than version
> in /usr/ports).  I am sure cvsup is updating /usr/ports for me, and I
> am sure "make index" is making /usr/ports/INDEX.  pkgdb -F and pkgdb -u
> seem to work fine.

The portversion man page says to run 'portsdb -U' to update the INDEX.
This takes an exceedingly long amount of time (for me), so I just use
pkg_version instead.  It checks the ports Makefile directly, and although
it takes a little longer to run, is always accurate.  From the pkg_version
man page:

"Each package's version number is checked against one of two sources to
see if that package may require updating.  If the package contains infor-
mation about its origin in the FreeBSD ports tree, and a version number
can be determined from the port's Makefile, then the version number from
the Makefile will be used to determine whether the installed package is
up-to-date or requires updating.

If no origin for a package can be found, or if the port's Makefile cannot
be located, pkg_version will search for the package in the ports collec-
tion index file (typically /usr/ports/INDEX).  Any matching version num-
ber(s) there will be used to determine whether the installed package is
up-to-date or requires updating."