Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2000 10:36:17 -0800
From:      "Bharat Mediratta" <bharat@menalto.com>
To:        <Chris.Smith@raytheon.co.uk>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Workstation Backup Device advice

Greetings.

I have been wrestling with this problem for quite some time
now with minimal success.  I tried using the OnStream 30Gb
SCSI (or IDE) drive, and I tried using a Sony SuperStation.
Both of these are very affordable solutions but they don't
work on FreeBSD due to lack of driver support!

I finally decided to use a hard drive as my backup device.
So now I am backing up my FreeBSD box to an NFS exported
partition on my Win98 box, which has a 30Gb IDE drive.

On my Win98 box I'm using WarNFSD (with TrayMinimizer so
that I don't see it all the time) and on the FreeBSD box
I'm using AMD for transparent NFS mounting and FlexBackup
(which is smart enough to dump to files instead of tape).

Good luck,
-Bharat