Date:      Thu, 3 Oct 2002 17:27:23 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        "W. D." <WD@US-Webmasters.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD instead of Novell Netware?

On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, W. D. wrote:

> I was planning to put together a 10 user Novell Netware network.  Is it
> possible to substitute a FreeBSD server instead?

Might be... see /usr/ports/net/mars_nwe.

> What would be the differences?

From the client side, it may look the same.  From the
server/administrator side, it'd look very different.  You would be
limited in what Novell software you could use.  This is not necessarily
a bad thing.  Most of the FreeBSD services are, IMO, better than
Novell's offerings, and the OS itself is more robust.  But it could be a
hassle to support.

For a business, I wouldn't do it that way.  I would likely use Samba
or even NFS instead.  It depends on what you need it to do.