Date:      Sat, 19 Nov 2016 16:15:28 +0100
From:      "John W. Kitz" <John.Kitz@xs4all.nl>
To:        <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Creating FreeBSD/arm bootable SD card for Cubieboards from FreeBSD 11.0 image files for Wintel only users.

Hi,

I believe I haven't seen an answer to my question yet.

The reason for asking is that in the early to mid '90's I ran an early
version (I'm guessing something like 5.x or 6.x) of FreeBSD for a while on
an old PC, which, although it had a CD-ROM drive, could only boot from its
floppy drive. At the time that wasn't a problem because the FreeBSD project
provided a utility named fdimage, which allowed users to create a bootable
floppy from an image file, boot from that floppy and continue the
installation process from CD-ROM.

To rephrase my question; am I correct in assuming that the FreeBSD release
11.0 SD-card image file contains everything one needs to do a first time
installation of FreeBSD on a cubieboard or cubieboard2? I.e. I do not or do
no longer need to install the SPL loader and U-boot programs on the SD-card,
since they are either an integral part of or not needed when using the image
file.

Regards, Jk.