Date:      Mon, 9 Oct 2000 10:30:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Vivek Khera <khera@kciLink.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: curious interaction between kdm and snmpd on startup

DW> This is what happens when the getty on console and xdm start up
DW> simultaneously.  The keyboard goes into limbo-mode.

That explains it... wow.  What a fun timing issue.  Curious how adding
snmpd to startup triggers it every time!

DW> The solution is to get xdm to wait 5-10 seconds for the getty to launch
DW> before starting itself.  This can be done with some nifty shell

Yes; this is what I'm doing now:

 (sleep 30; kdm) &

but I think I can cut the sleep time a bit ;-)

Thanks for the tip and confirmation.

Perhaps I can just start kdm from init (/etc/ttys) and it will work
out the timing itself ... I'll try that later.