Date:      Sat, 22 Sep 2007 12:25:43 +0200
From:      Mel <fbsd.questions@rachie.is-a-geek.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Hostap problem

Hi,

After battling PPPoE for a day, because HISADDR is a literal and not a value,
in addition to all routes needing to be cleared before ppp starts, we finally
got a FreeBSD natbox wireless access point and can get rid of the linksys.

There's only one problem left to tackle and my lack of wireless network
knowledge comes to play. Everything works, except wireless hosts cannot
connect to eachother. The only can connect to the wireless host. The only
reference I found to this is an old samag article:
http://www.samag.com/documents/s=7121/sam0205a/sam0205a.htm

"# BSS mode, meaning clients must associate with an access point,
# and cannot directly connect to one another."

This however deals with wi(4) rather then our ath and it also offers no
background or solution to letting them interconnect (although I suspect
enabling IBSS is the key?).

I followed:
http://www.freebsdmall.com/~loader/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/wireless/article.html

to set this up (and I don't understand why the hostap bits are stripped from
this article in the handbook).

Relevant config bits:
ifconfig_ath0="inet 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 ssid MYSSID wepmode on
weptxkey 1 wepkey 1:0x0123456789 mode 11g mediaopt hostap"
ifconfig_ath0_alias0="inet 192.168.1.51 netmask 0xffffffff" # for DNS server

# pciconf -lv|grep -A4 ^ath
ath0@pci2:10:0: class=0x020000 card=0x7057144f chip=0x0013168c rev=0x01
hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Atheros Communications Inc.'
    device     = 'AR5212, AR5213 802.11a/b/g Wireless Adapter'
    class      = network
    subclass   = ethernet

So what's the trick to allow/facilitate connections between two clients?
--
Mel