Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 2004 23:11:04 -0600
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Kiffin Gish <kiffin.gish@planet.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Root directory filling up...

Kiffin Gish wrote:

>Wow, that seems like a lot of work. Suppose instead I choose just to
>reinstall everything all over again...

Your choice, of course. Might be good for learning; practice is still
somewhat equal to repetition.

I'm not so sure that hack #1 (mv a few things from / to /usr and
symlink) is really so difficult, nor a lot of work. You could move
/usr/ports, /usr/src, and all of /var to your big partition right now
with 7 commands in console. I'd do it in a heartbeat if I didn't
want to reinstall stuff. The main problem with it --- it is exactly
what I called it --- a hack --- you might even use the term "kluge".
There are better ways, one of which is probably the Right Thing(tm).
Quite possibly, the Right Thing(tm) is growfs(8).

That's one of the problems with asking about things like this
on "newbies@". There are only a few of us around, and we aren't
the most experienced kids on the block. Probably if you'd go
over to questions and say "I partitioned my HDD thus-and-so and
now I find that I don't have enough space on /" you'd get some
good advice about doing the Right Thing(tm) and only a couple
of "RTFM" responses...

>What stuff do I need to save and restore later so that I don't have to
>reinstall all my applications all over again (Internet, mail, gnome,
>x-windows)?
>
>Like the /etc/* , etc. Is there a standard way to do this?

If you've got someplace to put the stuff, dump(8)
and restore(8) are probably the tools of choice.

Kevin Kinsey