Date:      Mon, 16 Jan 2012 21:10:37 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jos Backus <jos@catnook.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Importing djb's public domain daemontools?

On 01/16/2012 19:41, Jos Backus wrote:
> On Jan 16, 2012 6:53 PM, "Doug Barton" <dougb@freebsd.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 01/16/2012 12:53, Jos Backus wrote:
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>
>> This is already available in ports.
>
> I realize that.

Good, then we're done. :)

> If FreeBSD had a solid solution out of the box, all this pidfile hackery in
> the base system wouldn't be necessary.

We don't do religious wars here. We especially don't do trollbait from
djb acolytes. The "pidfile hackery" that we currently have works just
fine in the vast majority of cases. The fact that it doesn't meet some
people's ideas of architectural purity is totally beside the point.

> I always thought FreeBSD was about
> good engineering. Perpetuating the pidfile mess in the base is not a sign
> of good engineering.

FreeBSD is about giving people choices. Those who want to use
daemontools can do that.

And lest people think that I'm just hating on daemontools, I'm not. I
use it for some things. But converting everything in the base to use it
is a non-starter, even if we wanted to import it, which I don't see any
need to do.

Doug

--

	It's always a long day; 86400 doesn't fit into a short.