Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 2004 18:45:24 +0100
From:      Erik Norgaard <norgaard@locolomo.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PXEBoot fails in last stage

Hi,

I have set up a server (dhcp/tftp/ftp, no nfs configured) as a jumpstart
server for pxeboot and compiled kernel with -DLOADER_TFTP_SUPPORT=YES.
The client machine is a VIA EPIA CL1000 with a 60GB hdd with a FreeBSD
4.9, I want to reinstall to get 5.3.

Kernel is compiled with "option BOOTP" and support for memory filesystem
as root device.

The client machine boots up and goes through stage 1-3, fetching kernel
and memory file system with tftp. But I have problem launching into the
final stage which sould launch sysinstall and run an installation script.

The client correctly configures the ethernet card (vr0) but then tries
to mount a root file system using NFS! - the whole idea was to avoid
messing around with NFS.

If I leave the root-path unset or define it as "" in the dhcpd.conf the
client will keep requesting a root-path.

 From what is written on the screen it doesn't mount the local HDD.

How to I force it to use the memory file system as root device?

An interesting sidenote: I first had the kernel compiled without "option
BOOTP", then the client would correctly mount the memory file system,
but only if the local harddrive was NOT present!!????

These are my loader files set up as described on www.m0n0.ch/wall/hack/

loader.rc:
include /boot/loader.4th
start

loader.conf:
init_path="/sbin/init:/stand/sysinstall"
rootfs_load="YES"
rootfs_name="/boot/mfsroot"
rootfs_type="mfs_root"
autoboot_delay=5

boot/ on tftp server:
defaults        kernel          loader.gz       pxeboot
device.hints    loader.4th      loader.rc       support.4th
frames.4th      loader.conf     mfsroot

Any hints would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Erik
--