Date:      Mon, 8 Apr 1996 13:17:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Eric S. Raymond" <esr@locke.ccil.org>
To:        ache@astral.msk.su (=?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?=)
Cc:        scrappy@ki.net, current@freebsd.org, ncurses-list@netcom.com
Subject:   Re: terminfo-less ncurses

Andrew Chernov writes:
> Terminfo abuses filesystem with its database, Berkeley *.db termcap database
> give much faster results for searches. Terminfo is not extendable.
> Modern termcap have all terminfo cababilities.

I totally disagree.

1. The terminfo database is no more an `abuse' of the filesystem than home
directories are -- both cases legitimately use the filesystem for name lookup.

2. The alleged higher speed of 4BSD search is a red herring -- the proper
figure to look at is the entire load time per entry, and terminfo wins on
this one because the capabilities are pre-digested.

3. The supposed non-extendibility of terminfo is a non-issue.  Nobody
has seriously proposed any termcap extensions other than those intended to
mimic terminfo for many years now.  Terminfo suffices -- and, if it did not,
it does in fact have some extension capability.

4. Modern termcap has nowhere *near* the capabilities of terminfo, as I
know for certain because I have had to become intimately familiar with both.

> Total terminfo disabulity isn't possible with current ncurses,
> so additional patch needed. If it will be configure option,
> it will be even better.

So far, I see no case whatsoever for keeping termcap alive.  Nor does
Keith Bostic, who wrote and maintained the 4.4BSD implementation.  You'll
have to work pretty hard to make such a case.