Date:      Sun, 17 Oct 2004 19:16:37 +0200
From:      Henrik W Lund <henrik.w.lund@broadpark.no>
To:        Chris Neustrup <druid45@idiom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gcc34

Chris Neustrup wrote:
> Henrik W Lund wrote:
>
>> Chris Neustrup wrote:
>>
>>> I am trying to upgrade from 5.2.1 to 5.3 current.  I am

>> Greetings!
>>
>> Don't know how you can fix this, but you don't need to install gcc3.4
>> from ports. Upgrading from 5.2.1 to 5.3 can be done in the make
>> buildworld, make buildkernel, make installkernel, make installworld
>> procedure outlined in the handbook. The buildworl target will populate
>

> Hi Henrik,
>            I got as far as the make buildworld, and then an X11 failure
> occurred:
>
> ===> gnu/usr.bin/groff/font/devX75
> ===> gnu/usr.bin/groff/font/devX75-12
> ===> gnu/usr.bin/groff/font/devascii
> rm -f /usr/ports/x11-fonts DESC
> rm: /usr/ports/x11-fonts: is a directory
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/groff/font/devascii.
>

> This has happened before when I was doingsome X11 upgrades.  Do
> you see anything wrong with this?
>
> Peace, cn.
Hmm... Cryptic make failures like that are puzzling. The best advice I
can give is to clean out cruft from earlier builds by doing:

cd /usr/src && make cleanworld

then trying again. If that doesn't work, try cvsupping again to pull
some fresh sources. If that doesn't work /either/, I'm all out of ideas,
sorry. :-( Maybe someone more intimate with the build procedure can shed
some light?

--
Henrik W Lund