Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 2002 11:39:30 +0200
From:      Marc Heckmann <mhec@merconic.com>
To:        Thierry Herbelot <thierry@herbelot.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "boot -a" in 4.5-STABLE

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 06:46:18AM +0200, Thierry Herbelot wrote:
> Marc Heckmann wrote:
> >
> > I've got 4.5-STABLE setup here with vinum as per the Vinum bootstrapping howto
> > (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/vinum/index.html).
> >
> > I have ad0s1a which is "/" and ad2s1a which is mounted on /rootback, it's an
> > exact copy of the "/" filesystem.
>   ^^^^^
> [SNIP]
> > mountroot> ufs:/dev/ad2s1a
> > Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a               <---- NOTE this
>
> if the root partitions are identical, the /etc/fstab files are also
> identical, so you are truing to mount the initial root paartition from
> the second disk.

correct, the value in /etc/fstab, seems to override whatever I manually
tell the kernel to use as the root device. But if I am booting with "-a"
and "-s", shouldn't the fstab just be ignored? I should have / on ad2s1a
mounted RO at that point so I can manually re-mount RW and edit my fstab.
The vinum bootstrap howto also seems to describe that way.

What is the expected behavious should be when using the "-a" switch?
Thanks in advance

-m

--
m. heckmann.