Date:      Sun, 14 Jul 1996 14:15:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD keyboard

On Sun, 14 Jul 1996, J Wunsch wrote:

> The problem arises, however, that even for frequent users of such a
> recognition-based system, the efficiency cannot grow beyond a certain
> point.

I think that is a minor problem.  In fact, studies show that
although people percieve keyboard shortcuts (recall) as being
faster than pulling down a menu (recognition), when actually
measured, people perform about the same with both.  Granted, this
cannot be fully generalized to cover all tasks, nor is it fully
representative of a unix style command line interface.  Also,
percieved difference are critical in marketing whether they are
real or not.

The real problem that drives unix power-users ape is that current
recognition based interfaces typically have hard-coded
non-extensible functionality.  Nobody has devised an *efficient*
visual method for assembling and saving new functionality from
existing components as in the unix pipeline model with shell
scripts. The research on this front falls under the category of
"programming by example" and is for the most part just that:
research (I can provide some reference for anyone interested).
Macro recording has been around for quite a while, but beyond
fairly trivial tasks, a regression into old fashioned textual
programming is required.

I'd love to find a visual regular expresnion builder; I'm always
having to re-read the manual page whenever I want to construct
something non-trivial.

> When looking at the icon and toolbar etc. forest of the typical
> application of these days, i still believe it's rather done for optics
> than to improve recognition.

I think toolbars should default to being hidden.  They are most
useful *after* someone has used a piece of software for a while
and discovered which are the most frequently used features, some
of which may be burried in a deep menu or dialog box.  I suspect
toolbars are mostly confusing to a new user, and the icons are
usually a joke. I'll bet the icon artists couldn't even pass a
"what does this icon mean" test.

-john

== http://fallout.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ================