Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2006 22:09:55 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott+lists.freebsd@fishballoon.org>
To:        Alex Franks <arfranks@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hot-Swapping hard drives on Dell PowerEdge 2850 running FBSD 5.5-PRE

On Thu, Jun 22, 2006 at 11:06:17AM -0700, Alex Franks wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm getting ready to install 2 identical drives into the available
> drive bays in my 2850. However, it would be highly preferable that
> this machine NOT be shut down in order to install these drives. I know
> from looking at the docs that these drive bays are hot-swappable, but
> I'd like to know before I attempt this that someone else out there has
> successfully performed a hot-swap or hot-install of drives on a 2850
> or comparable Dell PowerEdge running FreeBSD.

I've swapped drives on an 1850 with no problems - the drives were in a
RAID-1 configuration and the OS didn't even notice that anything had
happened.  If you're not using hardware RAID I guess a "camcontrol rescan"
or something similar might be needed for the new drives to be recognised?

Cheers,

	Scott

Scott Mitchell           | PGP Key ID | "Eagles may soar, but weasels
Cambridge, England       | 0x54B171B9 |  don't get sucked into jet engines"
scott at fishballoon.org | 0xAA775B8B |      -- Anon