Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 12:43:00 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: What is the magical incantation necessary to print to /dev/ulpt0

At 11:49 PM -0700 8/14/01, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>I'd be interested in models from the Lexmark side.  A number of
>years back when I was supporting printers in a corporate setting
>I dealt with only HP and so never learned what was hot on the
>Lexmark side.

We have bought a fair number of lexmarks here at RPI, and I like
them a lot.  They also have a new "cheaper" postscript laser
printer for home use, which is to say, for around $800 (as
opposed to $1200 or more for heftier printers).

They tend to have a "series" of printers which are all out at the
same time, with varying speeds.  The Lexmark Optra S's are probably
what's seen a lot in the used market place.  I would prefer models
which end in a '5' over models which end in a '0'.  We have a lot
of 1855's, for instance, and we've pushed a lot of paper through
them.

I should note that I work on the "software side" of printer support,
and from that angle I prefer lexmarks over HP's.  HP's seem to always
have some little quirk which gets in my way...  The guys who do the
hardware support for RPI would tell you that HP's are easier to fix
if anything does go wrong with them.