Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 2002 20:33:57 +0100
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PC133 memory in an 164SX?

On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 06:54:58PM +0000, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> I'm looking into expanding the memory in an AlphaPC164SX.  (Truth
> be told it doesn't run FreeBSD.)  As it tends to be with technology
> disappearing from the marketplace, PC100 memory is now more expensive
> than PC133.  Are there any practical or theoretical objections to
> using PC133 memory in a 164SX?
>
> I'm under the impression that the only difference between PC100 and
> PC133 are timing parameters, where PC133 is faster, so this shouldn't
> be a problem, but maybe there are hidden issues such as power

Assuming a clean hardware design faster parts 'should just work'.
I did have other experiences in the past, but not to the extent that
things got damaged.

I would just try if I were you. I'd appreciate a status update
whether it works or not, I guess it would be interesting to get
experiences like this into the Alpha-hardware docs for FreeBSD.

> consumption or I'm missing something altogether.

Not that I know.