Date:      Wed, 17 Oct 2001 16:52:21 +1000
From:      "MurrayTaylor" <MurrayTaylor@bytecraftsystems.com>
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, "Doug Hass" <dhass@imagestream.com>
Cc:        "Leo Bicknell" <bicknell@ufp.org>, "Jim Bryant" <kc5vdj@yahoo.com>, "MurrayTaylor" <taylorm@bytecraft.au.com>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FYI

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To: "Doug Hass" <dhass@imagestream.com>
Cc: "Leo Bicknell" <bicknell@ufp.org>; "Jim Bryant" <kc5vdj@yahoo.com>;
"MurrayTaylor" <taylorm@bytecraft.au.com>; <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>;
<freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2001 3:32 PM

I got my one (1) before the EOL cutoff here in OZ ... and am still
looking forward to the next generation ....
and to the boss saying "can we create another branch office and link 'em
up?"

> [...]
> WANic 4xx cards, if you get my drift.
>
> >The drivers BSDI developed and gave to the community for the 400 series
> >are seriously out of date, by the way.
> >Last I knew, they still referred
> >to the cards as the "n2pci" and used some outdated code that has since
> >been much improved.  I'd be interested in working with a developer or
> >developers to get some updated drivers out there for FreeBSD.
>
> Doug, as a FYI, I believe that I can fill in a bit on the state of the sr
> driver.  They don't actually refer to the cards as the n2pci (now, at
least)
> They have had work done to them already by John Hay and Julian.
>
>  This brings
> >me to...
> >
> >2) Driver development for FreeBSD
> >
> >We'll pledge 15% of the purchase of the aforementioned 400 series cards
> >toward supporting a developer or developers to bring drivers to the
> >FreeBSD market.  The 400 series drivers need to be updated.
>
> Yes and no - there is one bug in there that needs killing still but
otherwise
> the driver for the 400 is OK.  Let me explain the history as I am aware of
it.

> As you stated, BSDI wrote a driver for the RISCom/N2 card and contributed
> this back to SDL.  I believe that this version made it's way to John Hay
> and formed the base of the FreeBSD sr driver.
>
> At some point, this driver was enhanced by either BSDI or SDL to add
support
> for the later RISCom cards that had an integrated T1 CSU.
>
> This support does NOT appear in the FreeBSD driver.  It's not possible to
use
> port1 (the one with the CSU port) in a FreeBSD system at this time.  It
may be
> that John Hay chopped out this support but more likely he was working with
> an older version of the driver.
>
> I have the source for the later N2 driver that has the integrated CSU.  It
> would
> be nice if someone would put the CSU support into the FreeBSD driver.  I
> looked
> at doing it myself but there's now big differences between this BSDI/SDL
> driver
> and the one in FreeBSD, too much for me to be able to do it.  I would
gladly
> loan a disk with this source plus a later model RISComN2 card with the
> integrated
> CSU port to anyone who would do it.  I'm sure that someone like Julian or
> John could do it.
>
> At any rate, the FreeBSD fork of this driver was later modified to support
the
> PCI version of the RISCom, the WANic 400/405 cards.  Since the WANic 405
> series
> has no integrated CSU, the sr driver works with both ports on it.
>
> The sr driver has gone through some debugging by John Hay, and Rodney
Grimes.
> I've worked with Rod on this some, and he has discovered 2 bugs that
appear
> on the WANic405 driver.  I've verified that both of these bugs exist.
>
> The first bug deals with the interrupt handling of the transmit register.
It
> appears on all RISCom and WANic card variants. Rod has written a patch for
> this
> and the patch works.  Without the patch, the cards lose packets.  John has
> not gotten a copy of this patch nor integrated it into the current version
of
> the sr driver, unfortunately.  The patch is for 1.34.2.2 of the driver
that
> comes in FreeBSD 4.3 and unfortunately Rod got it completed after John
made
> more changes.  I don't think Rod has reved it to the current rev.
>
> The second bug only appears on WANic 405's and is triggered by high volume
> rates
> on both interfaces simultaneously.  Rod has been unable to isolate the
problem
> but he and I confirmed that it only appears with dual-port cards.  The bug
> causes about 10%
> packet loss to be noted on a Pentium 200.  I believe that it is possible
> minimize the effects of this bug by using the cards in a much faster CPU.
>
> Other than that the FreeBSD sr driver is stable, has not caused a crash or
> other problem on the hardware I've used it on over the last year and a
half,
> on a
> busy Internet router that runs BGP.

Hear hear ... We have been rock solid with continuous uptime (except when we
moved premises) since we started our full time connection...
note that I am using the sr-netgraph driver, NOT the
base sr driver, so I dont know how much of the original path through
the driver code is still followed.

tedm@toybox.placo.com
> Author of:                           The FreeBSD Corporate Networker's
Guide
http://www.freebsd-corp-net-guide.com