Date:      Thu, 25 Feb 1999 20:23:58 GMT
From:      r.yeardley@dial.pipex.com (Richard Yeardley)
To:        "Jeremy Wolf" <jeremywolf@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Networking Problems( the unusual kind)

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999 16:20:46 PST, "Jeremy Wolf"
<jeremywolf@hotmail.com> wrote:

>My problem is that I can not send data from my FreeBSD box very fast,=20
>yet i can recieve on it very fast.  This is going over a intel=20
>etherexpress pro 10+ card on a 10BT network.  It does not work correctly=
=20
>through FTP or SAMBA.  Could someone please help me, its driving me=20
>nuts.  The daemons i am running are samba and inetd.  I do not subscribe=
=20
>to this mailing list so please send all answers to=20
>jeremywolf@hotmail.com

I recently had this problem.  The cause was that the network card on
the FBSD box was set to full-duplex.  Data transfers from the FBSD box
were fine, but sending files to the box (with Samba or via ftp) either
took forever or timed out.  When I looked at the hub fixed to the back
of my desk I noticed the collision light was almost constantly on.
Setting the card in the FBSD box back to half-duplex fixed this
straight away.

Hope this helps,

Rich.

=46BSD3.1R : AMD PR75 : 32MB RAM : 335MD HD : V90 modem : NE2000 NIC
apache 1.3.4+PHP3 : named : qpopper: socks5 : ipfw : mysql : samba