Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 2000 03:16:56 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass)
Cc:        ragnar@sysabend.org (Jamie Bowden), tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Here is what IBM thinks about using FreeBSD on their newer

> >I used OS/2's boot manager for a very long time and still would if OS/2
> >Warp would install on my current hardware, but having also bought
> >Partition Magic, I have found Boot Magic to be a very good replacement.
>
> Do the IBM Boot Manager and Boot Magic replace the BIOS hard disk code
> as OnTrack Disk Manager does? It seems to me that this is what might be
> needed to get things working if the original AT BIOS can't handle the
> drive.

You are speaking about the LBA emulation mode, which uses the
boot sector to load a TSR that handles LBA mode by doing
translation/augmentation of the requests to the disk which
are normally fielded by the BIOS.

The answer is "No, they do not do this".

This is not relevent to the ThinkPad problem, since that's
related to the BIOS not having the FreeBSD partition ID in
their list of sacred partition IDs.  They have the Linux
partition ID in this list in recent BIOS.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.