Date:      Tue, 19 May 1998 13:25:13 +1200
From:      Craig Harding <crh@outpost.co.nz>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why we should support Microsoft...

Atipa wrote:

> Adding insult to this whole situation are the demands of the US
> Government. Now these are plain silly, and I applaud Bill Gates for
> telling them where to go with their suggesions:
>
>  * That Microsoft disable their browser, and _all_available_means
>    of accessing it
>  * If MS does include a browser, they must also provide all
>    competing products as well.
>  * MS must modify their "Window Manager" so that OEMs and
>    competitors can customize their visual.

I'd agree with you that these solutions are sub-obtimal, but only
because Justice are afraid of the solution really needed: separate
Microsoft's OS business from everything else. While Windows is head,
shoulders, and belly-button above every other mainstream OS,
Microsoft have an unfair advantage over every single other
application developer and  content provider in the world.

And I have to say, I'm continually surprised at people who
can't understand why Microsoft's current dominance is a Bad Thing.

						-- C.
--
Craig Harding         Head of Postproduction, Outpost Digital Media Ltd
     "I don't know about God, I just think we're handmade" - Polly