Date:      Wed, 17 Dec 2003 20:47:47 -0800
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>, Alex <xela@battleface.com>(ander Sendzimir)
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: suffering from poor network performance...

On Tuesday 16 December 2003 03:35 pm, Charles Swiger wrote:
> On Dec 16, 2003, at 5:58 PM, Alex (ander Sendzimir) wrote:
> > I have a small home network with a PowerBook G4 and FBSD 4.9-STABLE
> > connected through a Netgear DS108 hub (10/100).
>
> If the device works at both 10 and 100 speed, it's a switch, not a hub.

This is one of those curious half-breed thingys that were popular for a
year or so before the prices of switches fell through the floor.  It's
essentially a 10Base-T hub and a 100Base-TX hub in the same box, a
relatively simple switch at each port connects "partitions" you the 10 or
100 mbps portion.  They're odd little beasts, you can sniff traffic on
them, but only traffic at the same speed you're running at.  If you have
two 100Base machines yakking away and try to sniff them from a 10Base
machine, you won't see anything.

These were typically sold as "Dual Speed" hubs, thus the "DS" in the
product id.

--

        Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                               wes@softweyr.com