Date:      Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:12:13 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Peter A. Giessel" <pgiessel@mac.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vinum, fsck generates errors when Plex 1 is up

--NJ5+aVN4Egd/eJfU

On Sunday, 22 August 2004 at 11:35:15 -0800, Peter A. Giessel wrote:
> I have two plexes in an array (FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE, which I needed so
> that I could run Samba3 with ACL).
>
> The following is roughly how my array is (was) set up.
> volume array
>   plex org raid5  (p0)
>     drive one      (p0.s0)
>     drive two      (p0.s1)
>     drive three    (p0.s2)
>     drive four     (p0.s3)
>     drive five     (p0.s4)
>     drive eleven   (p0.s5)
>   plex org raid5  (p1)
>     drive six      (p1.s0)
>     drive seven    (p1.s1)
>     drive eight    (p1.s2)
>     drive nine     (p1.s3)
>     drive ten      (p1.s4)
>     drive twelve   (p1.s5)

That's impossible.  You can't put plexes on drives; they've got to be
on subdisks, which you don't mention.  This is why I ask
(http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum/how-to-debug.html) for output from
vinum(8), which I see you added below:

> 2 plexes:
> P array.p0           R5 State: up   Subdisks:     6 Size:        931 GB
> P array.p1           R5 State: faulty   Subdisks:     6 Size:        931 GB
>
> 12 subdisks:
> S array.p0.s0           State: up   D: one          Size:        186 GB
> S array.p0.s1           State: up   D: two          Size:        186 GB
> S array.p1.s0           State: stale    D: six          Size:        186 GB
> S array.p1.s1           State: obsolete D: seven        Size:        186 GB

It would be nice to know when this was done; I assume it was after the
successful fsck.

Still, to continue...

> All was well for a while, then drive twelve failed, so i went to
> replace it, created a configfile:
> drive twelve device /dev/ad11s1h
>
> # vinum create configfile
> # vinum start array.p1.s5
>
> when p1.s5 finished reviving, I got all kinds of fsck errors such
> as "INCORRECT BLOCK COUNT", "EXCESSIVE BAD BLOCKS", etc.

It would be interesting to know whether this was with the file system
mounted and active or not.  There have been some race conditions which
might cause this problem.  If the file system was mounted, could you
please try again with it unmounted?  If it wasn't, the information in
the URL above would helpful.

Greg
Note: I discard all HTML mail unseen.
Finger grog@FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.