Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 2000 04:21:38 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        David Kirchner <dpk@nwserv.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: quotacheck on a live filesystem; safe? (fwd)

On Tue, 15 Aug 2000, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Aug 2000 08:51:27 MST, David Kirchner wrote:
>
> > I've been reading over source for quotacheck and ufs_quota.c and so far I
> > have not found a reason why running quotacheck on a live filesystem would
> > cause anything but inconsistencies in the quota.user file.
> > incorrect belief?

I gained the same belief in the same way when someone (Mike Tansca?) asked
about running quotacheck a year or two ago.

> That would certainly tie in with the last paragraph of the DESCRIPTION
> section of the quotacheck(8) manual page.

My version says it even more certainly :-):

diff -c2 quotacheck.8~ quotacheck.8
*** quotacheck.8~	Wed Aug 16 04:02:50 2000
--- quotacheck.8	Fri Mar  3 06:08:22 2000
***************
*** 138,143 ****
  accesses the raw device in calculating the actual
  disk usage for each user.
! Thus, the filesystems
! checked should be quiescent while
  .Nm
  is running.
--- 138,144 ----
  accesses the raw device in calculating the actual
  disk usage for each user.
! Thus, mounted filesystems can be checked,
! but the results may be garbage unless the
! filesystems are quiescent while
  .Nm
  is running.

I meant to commit this after checking the details.

Bruce