Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2001 18:53:40 +1100
From:      Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
To:        Wayne Lubin <wayneclubin@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: About the sources

On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 11:24:17PM -0800, Wayne Lubin wrote:
> Do tarballs exist of the source trees? If not then why
> not? I think it would be convenient to be able to ftp
> a tarball of the source tree of say 4.4_release,
> unroll it and compile it. The same for stable and

Yes and no.

Yes, they do exist. If you buy the cdrom/download the ISO, you get
the sources in one or more tarballs.

No, they don't exist because all the code is located in a CVS
repository. That means you can have all the versions in one place,
and if you want to have version 4.1, 4.2, 4.3 or 4.4, you just have
to checkout the files from the repository with that release-tag.

So the cdrom/iso is for newbies who just want to have a single
snapsnot, the CVS repository is for the rest who have a little more
experience with the system.

Edwin, just realizing he always downloads the ISO anyway.

--
Edwin Groothuis   |              Personal website: http://www.MavEtJu.org
edwin@mavetju.org |           Interested in MUDs? Visit Fatal Dimensions: