Date:      Sat, 12 Nov 2016 15:45:49 +0100
From:      diffusae <punasipuli@t-online.de>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to change MAC address on RPI-B?

Hi John,

thanks a lot for you reply

On 12.11.2016 12:38, John W. Kitz wrote:

> "I've tried it this way in /etc/start_if.ue0:

/etc/start_if.ue0 will be launched before the interface is up,
so ifconfig up is done by the boot process.

The only message I get at boot in this stage is:

ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCDIFADDR): Can't assign requested address
smsc0: chip 0xec00, rev. 0002
ue0: link state changed to DOWN
ue0: link state changed to UP

I also cannot change the MAC at runtime without loosing network connection.

> Hence my question shouldn't you also use "ifconfig ue0 up" at the end in the
> example you supplied (see above).

There is no network connection, also if I supplied the ifconfig command
on the CLI.

> "How-To-Repeat: /etc/rc.conf

> ifconfig_re0="inet 192.168.0.2/24"
> ifconfig_re0_alias0="ether 00:02:1a:2b:3c:4d"

That's another way you can set the MAC in /etc/rc.conf

> Did you try this command-by-command through the CLI and have the output of
> that?

Yes, but I can't use alias or add parameter with the ether, lladdr or
link options.  Than it says: ifconfig: ether: bad value.

But I've also tried this settings in /etc/rc.conf and it doesn't work.

Regards,
Reiner