Date:      Thu, 20 Feb 2003 09:37:02 +0100
From:      Ernst de Haan <znerd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: jboss3, jdk-1.3.1_p8 & 5.0-CURRENT

> What I'm really hoping to hear is "Java on 5.0-CURRENT sucks, stick to
> RELENG_4 and you'll have a production-quality Java environment".

Indeed Java on FreeBSD 5 may suck. From what I've heard it probably does.

With 4-STABLE you'll probably have a slow but quite-stable Java environment.
We're using FreeBSD 4-STABLE with jdk1.3.1 in production environments.

However, Linux will give you better performance and slightly better
stability. But you may find that the advantages of FreeBSD outweigh the
disadvantages.

And I wouldn't recommend Sun boxes unless you really know what you're doing.
You probably do though :) Linux boxes are cheaper and faster.

Ernst