Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2000 16:57:24 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Sean-Paul Rees <sean@dreamfire.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Refuse versus Filter

On Wed, Apr 12, 2000 at 10:04:32PM -0700, Sean-Paul Rees wrote:

> I have several ipfw rules to protect some potentially vulnerable
> services from being exploited from the outside. However, when I do a
> nmap, all the ports that I block show up as filtered.
>
> Is there a way to get a "Connection refused" effect with ipfw instead
> of a connection just hanging?

If they're UDP based services, like remote logging of syslogd, you can
safely drop the packets and forget about them, i.e.

	# drop all packets destined to our syslogd
	deny udp from any to any 514

If they're TCP based services, you can return an RST packet to tell the
other end that the port they're trying to connect to is not `open'.

	# drop all requests to identd service
	reset tcp from any to any 113 setup

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >