Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 2001 11:52:06 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD cant boot from ZIP - Is it true?

> >You can't boot from the parallel-port drives, but that's a feature of the
> >PC not expecting to be able to boot from a printer rather than a FreeBSD
> >issue.
> >
> >I've personally booted FreeBSD from the old, old ATA Zip drives, the
> >ATAPI ones and of course the SCSI drives, in both whole-disk and
> >sliced (as from the factory) modes.
>

> I believe you, but no-one seems to know how to do it. FreeBSD seems to get
> confused between the hard drive and the ZIP and it becomes a mess very
> quickly. This is with ATAPI IDE drives btw.
>
> Whats the "trick"?

There shouldn't be any trick; as long as you have the 'atapifd' driver in
your kernel, and the correct entries in /etc/fstab on the disk, you
should be fine.

Where does the confusion arise?  When you're trying to find the kernel,
or when you're mounting root?  Are you installing to the disk, or
building a root filesystem manually?

If you're having trouble mounting root, check what the kernel says it's
trying to mount and if it's not /dev/afd0-something then you should
suspect your /etc/fstab's / entry.