Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 22:55:56 -0500
From:      Steve <toopesky@usa.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   sound card problem

Please let me know if it is inappropriate to direct this sort of inquiry
to this address. I am
a freeBSD newbie.

I am attempting to get my Sound Blaster 16 (CT2770) to work with
FreeBSD.
All my attempts to install it using the information in the handbook have
failed.

When I use the 'sbxvi0' device it returns 'sbxvi0 not found' during boot
up

so finally then I tried this line:

    device sb0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 5 vector sbintr

using the 'sb0' device seems to work. It detects 'Sound Blaster 16'
during the boot
sequence, and continues with drive mounting, etc. however, when I try to
execute an
application that uses the sound card ('MPG123') it returns the following
error:

    DMA timed out. IRQ/DRQ conflict?

My sound blaster 16 (model CT2770) is non-plug&play, and it is factory
preset at
IRQ 5, High DMA 5, Low DMA 1. It is not possible to reconfigure these
settings
with jumpers. However, nothing appears to be in conflict in my FreeBSD
kernel.

Thanks for any assistance. I do work in customer service, so I know the
frustration of
misdirected questions. Please let me know if I should direct my inquiry
elsewhere.

Steve