Date:      Thu, 5 Jul 2001 18:28:24 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Joerg Schilling <schilling@fokus.gmd.de>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, gibbs@scsiguy.com, mckay@thehub.com.au
Subject:   Re: Problems reading burned CDs

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 02:03:53 +0200, Joerg Schilling wrote:

> >From ken@panzer.kdm.org Fri Jul  6 00:45:37 2001

> >> OK, if it is no bus device reset, it should be OK.
>
> >Eh?  It is a bus device reset...
>
> I believe you are talking about a target reset which does not reset the whole
> bus but a specific target.

The SCSI-2 terminology is "Bus Device Reset", SCSI-3 terminology is "Target
Reset".  You said above "if it is no bus device reset, it should be OK.".
It is a bus device reset, a.k.a. a target reset.

> >> However, 5 seconds is a too short timeout.
>
> >For what?  The 5 second timeout is for a generic SCSI command facility,
> >not for any particular command.  5 seconds is plenty of time for some
> >commands, and way too short for others.  A user savvy enough to compose
> >his own CDBs should also be knowledgeable enough to specify a suitable
> >timeout.
>
> Believe that _any_ SCSI device I know will take much longer if there is some
> problem to read the media.
>
> For a hard disk you should wait at least 20 seconds for error recovery
> (this means read retries _and_ eventually error correction).
>
> If a CD-ROM uses error correction, you should give it ~ 100 seconds.
>
> If you don't follow these rules, you will end up believing that there are
> completely _unreadable_ blocks where the media is only _very hard_ to read.

True enough, there are certainly situations where that timeout is too
short.  It may be a good idea to raise it, but I'll never be able to set it
to the "just right" value for any command the user might send.

e.g., a 3 hour timeout might be sufficient for most modern hard disks to
complete a format unit command, but I don't want a user to have to wait 3
hours to figure out his drive is dead.

So in any case, it's still up to the user to set the right timeout for the
command if he is specifying the CDB.  For the pre-configured commands in
camcontrol, like 'format', 'inquiry', 'start', 'stop', etc., the timeout is
already set to something appropriate for the command in question.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org