Date:      Thu, 5 Oct 2000 18:05:42 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Artem Koutchine" <matrix@ipform.ru>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux/FreeBSD decision

Artem Koutchine writes:
> > > 2) I am a developer, not a lame user, i know what i am doing
> >
> > See, this looks like a superiority thing.

Sounds like a Linux developer to me ;-).

> > I'm a developer for sure; that's what I do all day at work.
> > I wrote the ps command from scratch and I've made kernel patches.
> > So I know what I'm doing, and that means I know that 99% of
> > the time it is better to install binaries. I don't need to
> > waste my time when I know a binary will run just fine.
> Not really, Let's take mySql, for example. If i install binary, what would
> i get? Some standard distribution? But i need it compiled with cp1251
> support and i need this support to be very fast. So, i will build it from
> the sources.

MySQL, nothing. There's a "compiled for 586" version of Linux floating
around, and RPMs ditto. Which would you rather run if you've got a
Linux box?

By compiling from sources instead of installing binaries, it's trivial
to tweak such compilation options. Not clear how much difference it
makes, but at least one Linux distro thought it was worth the effort.

Likewise, by compiling ports from sources, I get to put them where *I*
want them, not where some developer who doesn't know jack about my
system decided they should go.

> > Why not unite *BSD first? The 4.4BSD distributions are rather
> > severely split compared to the Linux distributions.
> I see other way, I'd rather thinks of different BSDs as specialized cases
> of BSD. 4.4BSD is good for routers, OpenBSD for secure servers,
> FreeBSD is good for web servers, dialup cases, other stuff.

Yup, definitely the other way. The Linux distros all share a
kernel. In that respect, the BSDs are more split. But once you get to
userland, there is more similarity between BSD distros than between
Linux distros. Things will probably get worse in both camps with time,
but that's because the developers have different goals. Unlike the
Linux distros, the distribution developers carry that specialization
to the kernel level. While the BSDs do cross-fertilize (watch cvs-all
a while for things like "imported from NetBSD" or "found in OpenBSD"),
there isn't a central kernel they have to sync with, which gives them
a free hand.

	<mike