Date:      Fri, 14 Sep 2001 08:54:57 -0400
From:      Technical Information <tech_info@threespace.com>
To:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Helping victims of terror

At 05:28 AM 9/13/2001, Paul Robinson wrote:
>On Sep 13, Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com> wrote:
>
> > Basically, I'm confused as to what your point is?
>
>His point is that there are lots of people trying to start a war with chants
>along the lines of 'USA, Number One!', etc. when it's really not required.
>His point also, is that whilst people may be disgusted at the actions
>carried out (myself included), on the larger scale of things in World
>history they are but a mere blip.

I'm sure that events like Pearl Harbor and the destruction of the World
Trade Center will not be a "blip" on anyone's historical radar.  I have no
doubt that these events will still be studied/related 100 years from now
and that they will certainly have immediate (if not long-term) consequences
on the way we conduct ourselves in the name of security in this
country.  Whether these changes are beneficial or not will be a matter of
opinion, but I think it's quite easy to see that the changes will happen.

[ Other stuff deleted since it has been responded to adequately. ]

> > Basically, I see it this way. Violence is a sign of immaturity. There are
> > a LOT of immature people in this world. President Bush appears to be
> > intent on proving to the world just how immature the United States is
> > by rewarding violence with more violence. I hope the world grows up
> > before it destroys itself. Read your history, WW I took far less violence
> > than this to start. We're travelling down a familiar road right now,
> and the
> > street signs say WW III.
>
>Aginst whom? You see, that's the problem here. I understand Bush hasn't been
>in office long and his IQ is pretty low, but somebody needs to point out
>that although 'wars' can make you look popular, when you're declaring one,
>you kind of need to define who you are fighting. You know, like a country or
>a name or something. Rather than just 'people who don't like the USA'. And
>before you say 'bin Laden', can I just point out that all evidence
>suggesting it was him behind this is purely circumstantial and the CIA and
>FBI would *really* like to get their hands on him so will say ANYTHING if it
>means they get a chance to kick his butt. Perhaps even lie about their
>intelligence.

Frankly I don't see us headed toward WWIII.  Quite the opposite, the
atrocity of these events has galvanized the world in sympathy with or
support of the United States.  Most of them have chimed in that they deem
any actions we take in retribution justified if they haven't offered direct
support.  Leaders of countries that have harbored deep resentment against
the States for decades or more are sending their condolences and condemning
this type of terrorism.  Who knows, the world may actually become more
unified as leaders worldwide begin to think "Which of us might be next?"

And furthermore, bin Laden has been on the FBI's Most Wanted list for some
time now.  Whether he or his organization was directly involved in these
specific events, his previous actions and his insensitive comments
supporting the perpetrators of this terrorism have basically marked him
well enough for the U.S. to justify going after him.

--Chip Morton