Date:      Fri, 27 Aug 1999 10:03:41 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "M. L. Dodson" <bdodson@beowulf.utmb.edu>
To:        beemern@ksu.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: adopt a newbie program

beemern@ksu.edu writes:
 > "M. L. Dodson" wrote:
 >
 > > So, speaking only for myself, I don't mind helping people if (1)
 > > I know the exact answer off the top of my head, or (2) I can see
 > > people have done their homework and still have a nontrivial
 > > problem, and I have some insight as to a productive line of
 > > research which will solve that problem.  Being a mentor for a
 > > newbie who wants to take a short cut up the learning curve does
 > > not fit in either of those categories.  To put it another way, I
 > > don't mind being an educator (which I am by profession), in fact
 > > I enjoy it, or I would not be subscribed to this list, but I do
 > > mind being a questions "punching bag".  Flames to /dev/null.
 >
 > i agree!  also, i think that in one aspect, a newbie hurts himself by getting a
 > quick/easy answer to a question.  there are a lot of instances where, in
 > searching for a solution to one problem, i've run across solutions or
 > information pertaining to ANOTHER problem i was having.

You have described the essential essence of education (which is
intimately involved with substantial effort on the part of the
one being educated) as opposed to (just) learning the solution to
a problem (which merely requires that the one doing the learning
be able to pose the question in an intelligible fashion).

[elided]

--
M. L. Dodson                                bdodson@scms.utmb.edu
409-772-2178                                FAX: 409-772-1790