Date:      Wed, 27 Oct 2004 21:22:06 +0200
From:      Emanuel Strobl <Emanuel.Strobl@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Mark Cullen <mark.cullen@dsl.pipex.com>
Subject:   Re: Serial console weirdness

--nextPart5159897.lrncuT9l5U

Am Dienstag, 26. Oktober 2004 18:18 schrieb Mark Cullen:
> Mark Cullen wrote:
> > Artem Kazakov wrote:

> >>probably you need to change dialup with something (like vt100) sutable
> >>your enviroment
> >
> > I have tried cons25, xterm and (now) vt100. It's not that...
> >
> > # Serial terminals
> > # The 'dialup' keyword identifies dialin lines to login, fingerd etc.
> > ttyd0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.115200" cons25  on  secure
> > ttyd1   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure
> > ttyd2   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure
> > ttyd3   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure
> > # Dumb console
> > dcons   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt100   off secure
> > # Pseudo terminals
> > ttyp0   none                    network
> > /etc/ttys: 307 lines, 7539 characters
> > (root|bone)/home/mrboo# kill -HUP 1
> > (root|bone)/home/mrboo# ps ax | grep getty
> > 21134  p0  R+     0:00.02 grep getty
> > (root|bone)/home/mrboo#
> >
> > Note: I have no getty processes as there's no graphics card, so I am
> > guessing if it was working right I would start to see a:
> >
> > /usr/libexec/getty std.115200 ttyd0
> >
> > It appears in the process list (and works) when I run the above manuall=
y!

> I'll reply to myself here.
>
> I just now created /boot.config with -h, rebooted, and all is well. With
> the added bonus of it being a serial console at the boot loader part. I
> am impressed :)
>
> Can't seem to get it to work with anything other than 9600 (even though
> the process list shows std.115200), but it gives me some sort of of
> display to work with during the boot process atleast :)

You can use the sysctl machdep.conspeed to change the console speed. But it=
's=20
not a loader tunable, for boot-speed you need to remake all=20
in /usr/src/sys/boot after you set "BOOT_COMCONSOLE_SPEED=3D 115200"=20
in /etc/make.conf.

I had a self-answering thread started in -current a view weeks ago, see=20
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=3D2026740+0+archive/2004/freeb=
sd-current/20041017.freebsd-current

=2DHarry