Date:      Thu, 1 Nov 2001 12:15:08 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: Tiny starter configuration for FreeBSD

Cliff writes:

> Since the Windows9X system is presumably dead
> after Windows ME, and Microsoft systems become
> more expensive, perhaps the desktop world of
> Open systems is at a point in history where
> it can step in.

I don't think it is there yet, but Windows XP is definitely pushing in that
direction.

Unfortunately, no existing OS, including UNIX, can really compete with the
Windows desktop realistically.  Mac OS X exists mainly because the resources to
write a new OS from scratch specifically for the destkop were not available.
UNIX is a poor choice for a desktop OS, although it can be made to work--even
the original versions of Windows NT had to be shifted away from true multiuser
designs in order to better adapt them to the desktop.

Overall, I really don't think you can have an OS that is ideally suited to
_both_ server use and desktop use.  This is why UNIX can't really hope to
conquer the desktop, and it is also why Windows NT/2000 is having such a hard
time battling against UNIX for servers.