Date:      Fri, 22 Feb 2019 10:00:10 +1100
From:      Aristedes Maniatis <ari@ish.com.au>
To:        Kurt Jaeger <pi@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Java support

On 21/2/19 9:18pm, Kurt Jaeger wrote:
> Are there plans for the Foundation to sponsor some work in this area?
> Your point is, that the FreeBSD community should do regular testbuilds for
>
> https://github.com/AdoptOpenJDK/openjdk-jdk9u/
> https://github.com/AdoptOpenJDK/openjdk-jdk10u/
> https://github.com/AdoptOpenJDK/openjdk-jdk11u/
>
> and provide patches if something does not build or work, right ?
>
> And, if necessary, fund someone to do that work ?

Yes. Although I don't think there is a need to worry about the short
term releases 9 and 10. Only the LTS branches like JDK11 are being
supported by many OS vendors.

https://access.redhat.com/articles/1299013

My concern is that it might be beyond the capability of the open source
community to do the amount of work required here in a timely manner, and
so this might be an opportunity for the Foundation to step in and and
ensure this vital work is done. Perhaps ongoing maintenance is easier
once AdoptOpenJDK is brought up to speed on the BSD bits required.

Functioning Java is (IMO) a critical part of a modern server operating
system.

Cheers

Ari