Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 1999 22:17:36 +0100 (MET)
From:      Gerard Roudier <groudier@club-internet.fr>
To:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
Cc:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NEWS: SYM53C1010 and Ultra3 support

On Tue, 23 Nov 1999, Chris Dillon wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, Ollivier Robert wrote:
>=20
> > According to Gerard Roudier:
> > > I just got the appropriate cable this evening and started testing ult=
ra3=20
> > > support for the C1010. After a tiny fix in the SYM driver I got the
> > > following:
> >=20
> > BTW I'd support the import of the sym driver in FreeBSD -CURRENT.
> > I'd love to see this for 4.0 ! I use it on two machines and it
> > works splendidely.
>=20
> Actually, shouldn't it be possible to bring it into -STABLE as well? =20

Indeed my primary goal is -STABLE, but the driver will not make problem=20
in -CURRENT if it does not in -STABLE. :-)

> As long as it isn't in GENERIC by default, I can't see any harm in

The kernel is also not GENERIC given that it does not support 80286
anymore. ;-)

> doing so (similar to what was done with Netgraph).  I know that

> support for certain cards has to be turned off in the older ncr
> driver, but I assume that can be conditionalized to happen only when
> the new sym driver is compiled in.

The SYM driver needs LOAD/STORE SCRIPTS instructions to be supported by
the PCI/SCSI chip.=20
As a result, 810 rev < 0x10, 825 rev < 0x10 and 815 all revisions support
is dropped. LOAD/STORE have lots of advantages (I have detailed some in
the Linux README.ncr53c8xx file and I will add those explanations also for
the FreeBSD driver README file) and some may be astonishing: for example,
PCI-2.2 requires pci devices that access their target part as a master to
read the PCI bus signals internally. Only LOAD/STORE allow to be PCI-2.2
compliant with SYMBIOS chips, MEMORY MOVEs for accessing IO registers do=20
not.

> I'd really love to see this driver in -STABLE.  I've been using 0.9.0
> since it was released and haven't had any problems.

My goal was to propose the driver for inclusion when Ultra-3 support will
be tested. It seems to work fine at the moment and I will make some heavy
testings prior to announce it as available. The next point I have to solve
is to make the ncr and the sym live in vertue rather than in sin. :)=20

My plan is to have driver version 1.0.0 in about 2 weeks, with a better
integration in the kernel than the current one (options, etc ...) and a
minimal documentation.

Regards,=20
   G=E9rard.