Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 2004 19:01:57 -0600
From:      KevinKinsey@archangel.daleco.biz, DaleCo@archangel.daleco.biz, "S. P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Chris Pressey <cpressey@catseye.mine.nu>
Cc:        stevei@black-star.net
Subject:   Re: disconnecting keyboard: big trouble !?!

On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 04:49:09PM -0800, Chris Pressey wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 10:44:11 -0600
> Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@ub.edu.bz> wrote:
>
> > Can anyone on the list point me to a manufacturers site or
> > documentation that unequivocally states in clear terms the real
> > dangers of hotplugging a PS/2 device?
>
> How about http://www.heurtley.com/richard/maintenance.html ?
>
> It's basic electronics - plugging or unplugging anything from a powered
> device has a greater-than-zero chance of frying it.  The difference
> between "hot-pluggable" USB and "risky" PS/2 can be summed up like so:

<snip>
> -Chris

Nice research, Chris, thanks for that...here's an embedded reference
at a hardware site....

http://www.majikmarcer.com/html/tutorials/entsys.htm

FWIW, and hopefully not just a "me too", but merely anecdotal evidence:
I've blown an AT mobo (old keyboard, what was that ... DIN 5-pin?) this
way.  Very disappointing.  However, I may search the junk closet and
pull it to check for fusible links thanks to your post.... ;-)

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.