Date:      Sun, 31 Oct 1999 21:33:50 -0500
From:      John <papalia@UDel.Edu>
To:        Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Reverse DNS lookup

<snip>

>> merlin# nslookup 63.224.53.3
>> Server:  copland.udel.edu
>> Address:  128.175.xx.xx
>> *** copland.udel.edu can't find 63.224.53.3: Non-existent host/domain
>
>That's cause there is no reverse for that IP.  It's from a /25 subnet
>and US West probably doesn't delegate less than a /24 for in-addr.arpa

Could you do me a favor and explain all that? I have no idea what /25
subnet and in-addr.arpa actually mean :)

And if that's the case (above) then that might be the problem on all my
reverse lookups that go bad.  In essence all the problems I'm having are
with people using their desktops at work who ssh into my box.  But when I
try out nslookup on servers from, for example, my old ISP, it works fine
both ways.

Thanks again!!!
--John