Date:      Wed, 08 Mar 2000 13:19:16 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        "Waite, Michael" <Michael.Waite@compaq.com>
Cc:        "'Andrew Gallatin'" <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>, mjacob@feral.com, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and NIS

> vipw outputs this:
>

> /etc/pw.Xe8310: 19 Lines, 1004 characters.
> vipw: rebuilding the database...
> pwd_mkdb:corrupted entry
> pwd_mkdb:at line #19
> pwd_mkdb:/etc/pw.Xe8310: Inappropriate file type or format
>
> Hows about them apples?
> Never seen that before.

It means you've got a typo in the file; typically you're trying to use
passwd format where you're actually editing master.passwd, which has two
more fields (and thus you need two more colons).

Personally, I'm not so keen on the "everything has to be an errno error"
style.  The above diagnostic could trivially be "entry <blah>
misformatted" or something much more helpful.