Date:      Tue, 29 Feb 2000 13:07:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, "Yevmenkin, Maksim N, CSCIO" <myevmenkin@att.com>, "'freebsd-current@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>, "'freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NETGRAPH (proposal. FINAL)

<<On Tue, 29 Feb 2000 18:59:50 +0100 (CET), Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it> said:

> can you clarify this ? Looong ago i used the '586 on a bridge and it did let
> me write the MAC header...

The 82586 has a mode bit which selects one of two possibilities:

1) The transmit command specifies the destination address and
length/ethertype field; the source address is inserted by hardware.
The receive buffer descriptor gets the source address and
length/ethertype.

2) The transmit and receive buffers include a full Ethernet header.

I can't say off the top of my head which the `ie' driver uses, but I
would bet on (2) because that's easier for the driver to deal with.

These sorts of controllers are the reason why ether_input takes the
Ethernet header as a separate parameter.

-GAWollman